{ABSTRACT-NESS---X`}
Thursday, July 11, 2013
title:{}

I am starting to like to sound of reality.

I am not being cynical.

However, reality is important for one to progress. We must know our standings, in order to see the true big picture and from then on, we can take up measurable steps to propel us forward. However, many of us are living a lie. I am guilty of this. Sometimes, we imagine ourselves to be greater than who we really are. Sometimes, we overestimate our abilities. A talk with Ansel on Friday during CCA made me bounce back to reality. I am quite grateful, having talked to him. We were discussing about our future prospects. He shared that there was this girl who had gotten into NUS medicine. She did CIP in hospital for 4 years. We are not talking about a short 1 year, but 4 years! You might think 4 years add up to nothing. However, mind you, we are just 18 years old. Let's eliminate the first 12 years of our lives, because during the first twelve years of our lives, we hardly know who we are. Let alone, what should we do in the future. When we start to think about it, it will be around 13 years old. For some, they are even thinking about it at the age of 18. Let's assume that this girl really thought about being a doctor when she was 13 years old. So, from 13 years old to now, it should be around 5 years? During this 5 years, she spent 4 years, volunteering in the hospital. That is really impressive. The fact that she didn't give up makes it all the more impressive.

So, here is the link. I am going to apply for dentistry. Dentistry is going to offer only 50 places. Scary, isn't it?  There are 1200 people who applied for it. Imagine out of the thousands, ten people volunteered in dental clinics for 3 years and more. They had secured their seats. So, that made up 40 seats remaining. 40 seats remaining for 1190 people to fight for. T.T I am so scared that I couldn't get into dentistry. Judging by the statistics, I don't think I can get into dentistry. This reality check made me realize that the world is so much bigger. We are often confined by our small, narrow and myopic opinion about the world, because of the small environment that we are enclosed in.

Actually, failure does not feel so bitter, if we have done a reality check on ourselves. Failure only hurts when we set expectations too high that we cannot reach. The reason why we set high expectations is plain to see- we are overconfident of our own abilities.

Below is how my view of myself changed throughout the past few years.

Primary 1 to Primary 6: I am smart. I get into the best class in my school.
Year 1 to Year 6: I am not so smart. However, the fact that I am in NUS High School, makes me slightly above average.
Recently: I am so average.

In the past, I was overconfident of my abilities. However, now that I know I am really average, I won't feel so much disappointment in life. Yes, I will still chase my dream and do my best to get into dentistry. However, I also come to accept the fact that if I didn't get into dentistry, it is not that I suck, but just that I am just average.

YES, I SHOULD ADOPT THIS MENTALITY FROM NOW ON.

1:26 AM;

N {PROFILE}

Goh Mei Zhen
Northland Primary School
NUS High School
M08101
M09201
M10305
M11405
Fibonacci
29 May 1995
goh-meizhen@hotmail.com

calling cards
calling cards


N {CREDITS}

{/basecode}
Layout
MELISSA;
{/designer}
{/brushes}



N {CRAVING}

Want everyone around me to be happy and healthy:D
Do a blogskin on my own
Get a cap of 4
Get a cap of 4.5
Get into a united class
Spend more time with people


N {FRIENDS}

:: Aisyah ::
:: Felecia ::
:: JiaHong ::
:: Michelle ::
:: Samantha ::
:: SihSi ::
:: Simin ::
:: Winnie ::


N {TAGBOARD}



Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.comGet awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.comGet awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com